|Attractions/Dining in the PA Wilds and the Pine Creek Valley
The Pine Creek Valley is known as the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon continues for about 47 miles south to Avis, Pa. where it meets the Susquehanna River encompassing some 300,000 acres. The maximum depth of the canyon is 1,450 feet at Waterville. At Leonard Harrison and Colton Point State Parks it is about 800 feet from the rim to the bottom and about 4,000 feet from rim to rim. The Grand Canyon provides for an array of outdoor recreation. Stay with us and experience our outdoor paradise!
The mountains and forests of northcentral PA are called the Pennsylvania Wilds. Here you will find the smallest populated county (Forest), a county where the headwaters of the Genesee, the Allegheny and the Susquehanna Rivers all begin (Potter), the Allegheny National Forest, (Warren, Forest, McKean and Jefferson), the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon, (Tioga) and so much more. Crosscountry skiing, ATVing, hunting, hiking, fishing... think of something outdoors and it happens here! Clearfield County, where our Treasure Lake Chalet is located, is a wonderland full of recreation, private campgrounds and state parks. It abounds in easy access points to streams and trails, in wayside picnic parks, friendly inns, quality family restaurants and stimulating natural attractions. Old railroad beds are now hiking, snowmobiling, bicycle and skiing trails. The major forest roads provide access into some of the best wilderness hunting and fishing areas in the Eastern United States.
There are numerous hiking trails throughout the area. Check out the PA State Parks
for a complete list of outdoor activities in the PA Wilds region.
For the cottage, Pine Creek Rails to Trails
runs next to the property. Grab a bike and just hop right on. For the lodge, Drive (or bike) approximately 8 miles down the mountain (44S) to gain access to the Pine Creek Trail. This spectacular ride through the canyon offers picturesque views of the mountains and of Pine Creek.
Go to Pine Creek Outfitters
or Rock River and Trail Outfitters
for all your biking excursion needs.
Pine Creek offers some of the best trout fishing in the United States. It is said that some of Teddy Roosevelt's favorite fly fishing spots were in the PA Grand Canyon. The cottage has 150 feet of Pine Creek frontage. Just walk down and start fishing! There are many areas that are stocked at different times throughout the year. See the folks at Slate Run Tackle Shop
or McConnell's Country Store
in Waterville for all your fishing needs.
Just a short drive up the mountain you will find Fin, Fur and Feather
which offers horseback riding. A little farther north try out Tioga Trail Rides
for horseback riding through the PA Grand Canyon.
Snowmobile and ATV Trails
There are numerous snowmobile and ATV trails
in the area. Fin, Fur and Feather has gas pumps that many find convenient while they are out riding.
Just a few miles up the mountain, you will find Hyner View State Park
which is a popular spot for hang gliders.
- Woolrich Outlet Store in Woolrich is just a few miles away and is the maker of classic outdoor clothing and supplies.
- Bastress Mountain Winery and the Bullfrog Brewery feature a local flavor of wine and beer. Make sure to visit them both!
- Hiawatha Paddlewheel Riverboat. Explore the beauty of the Susquehanna River. Dinner cruises are available!
- Williamsport Crosscutters. The single A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies in
the NY/Penn League. The Crosscutters play at historical Bowman Field and offer a glimpse of potential future major leaguers during the summer months.
- Little League Museum is open year round. Don't forget about the Little League World Series in August when Williamsport plays host to teams from around the world during this summer classic.
- Clyde Peeling's Reptiland in Allenwood is only a short drive away. If you like snakes and other reptiles, this is the place for you.
- Roxy Movie Theatre in Lock Haven has first run movies.
- Not too far from Dubois in nearby Elk County you will find the largest elk herd in the Eastern US. Worth a visit!
The cottage and lodge are a short drive from many wonderful dining spots.
- Pine Creek Inn - has great spaghetti
- Waterville Hotel - famous moutain burgers
- Pine Creek Valley Lodge - has nightly entertainment
- Mountain Top Inn - great for home cooking for lunch or dinner and has a full service bar
- Hotel Manor - outside deck overlooking Pine Creek that is open in the warmer months
- Cedar Run Inn - fine dining
- Blackwell Hotel - fine dining
- Fin, Fur and Feather - diner open for breakfast and lunch
- Luigi's Italian Restaurant serves up some gret food in Dubois while Denny's Beer Barrel Pub in Clearfield claims to have the world's largest hamburgers...
Attractions in the Endless Mountains
World's End State Park
The retreat is located in Sullivan County
which is one third State Game Lands and State Forest. Just 10 minutes away from the retreat in Sullivan County is World's End State Park
. The 780 acre park offers spectacular scenery, hiking, hunting, fishing, swimming, white water boating, kayaking, snowmobiling, and cross country skiing. The Loyalsock Creek is stocked with trout each year by the PA Fish and Boat Commission & the cold mountain water provides good fishing most of the year.
Eagles Mere Village
Just 10 minutes away from the retreat is Eagles Mere Village
, the resort frequented by wealthy Philadelphians at the turn of the century. Many of the grand cottages and village shops retain the original architecture of their glorious past. The town is filled with shops offering fine antiques, handmade jewelry, pottery, clothing, furnishings, books, toys and unique gifts. Outstanding dining, miles of hiking and mountain biking trails, and scenic vistas. Beach & boat rentals are available at the Eagles Mere Lake (570)-525-3515.
Eagles Mere Ice Toboggan Slide
The Eagles Mere Ice Toboggan Slide is usually constructed around the end of January, and is open to the public on weekends throughout the rest of the winter. More than 1,000 blocks of ice are cut from Eagles Mere Lake and placed down Lake Avenue running towards the Lake. You can rent a toboggan ($10-an-hour size holds 6 adults; $15-an-hour size holds 8 to 10 adults). (570) 525-3244 or (570) 525-3050.
Attractions near Treasure Lake
|Treasure Lake Area:
Among the lush woods, meandering lakes and quiet beaches there is peace and tranquility living side by side with every imaginable recreational opportunity available year round. From our two PGA rated golf courses, (the Gold Course was rated one of the best in PA by Golf Digest), tennis courts... read more...